We had a Monopoly-off at my mom's house today. Long story short - I won. Here are the secrets:
- Property is king. Mortgage what you have to buy properties.
- Stimulate trade. An even trade (or slightly less than) will stimlate the Mono-conomy and may generate goodwill towards you.
- People rarely land on Park Place / Boardwalk. People often land on St. James / Tennesse / New York. There are 2 reasons for this.
- People go to jail - especially later in the game. These squares are 6, 8 and 9 squares away from jail, which are resonably frequently rolled numbers.
- Park Place / Boardwalk are way at the end of the board. It's hard to get there without hiting a Chance card or other incident that swings you around the board.
- The Park Place / Boardwalk combo isn't very useful in comparison with other monopolies. It's quite spaced out, and no one lands there anyway. Don't build it up very aggressively.
Here's a chart of Monopoly squares & percentage of landing. It might be interesting to see how the probabilies change when using a single 12-sided die instead of 2 6 sided dice. I assure you it'd be a totally different game.