CascadiaJS 2013 Talk Notes.
- Do you want to get teenagers and kids excited about coding? Show them an actual kid or teenager who codes. Contact Zach - he'd love to help!
Audio Components in the Browser - Soledad Penadés
- Demonstrated an in-browser audio synthesizer: //soledadpenades.com/files/t/cascadiajs-audio-tags/examples/07_mini_synth/ (view in a good browser)
- We know the color of #C0FFEE - but what's the sound?
Make Art Not Money - Brad Bouse
- Build a 3D/Alternate Reality poetry book - very cool.
- Leap Motion - 3D finger position sensing input
- Graphics libraries make it easier to write objects to a canvas or SVG.
- Just make something. Make for the pleasure of learning and of making.
Building apps with D3.js - Nathan Vander Wilt
- Awesome 3D visualizations of data using D3.js
- Protip: Use
inputevent instead of keyup or onchange
- Can you tell what will actually happen in these snippets?
- That's Odd: Tricks with bit shifts and bit masks. Avoid negative numbers in modulus (%) operations.
- The One: Loops don't have their own scope. A variable declared in a loop is hoisted to the top of it's scope, and thus not reset during the loop. There's a reason that the convention is to declare variables at the top of functions.
- Lootpy-loop: Be aware of the limitations of very large numbers. Computers are still 0s and 1s all the way down.
- Why Are We Bankrupt: Be wary of ye olde floating point rounding errors. Always use integers - cents, not dollars.
- The Prestige: No block scope or hoisting. Mind your operator order of evaluation. Use encapsulating parenthesis; be explicit.
ECMAScript Regrets - David Bruant
- Browsers can't make breaking changes, because there's no predictable change over time. Thus we have ECMAScript regrets.
NaN !=== NaN=> true / isNaN
typeof null=> object
JS Bringing Crypto to the Masses - Matthew Bergman
- Kleptograhy: security in name only.
- Keys must be kept secret.
- The DES keyspace is too small to be secure.
- Pseudorandom number generators matter.
This cat is about to be tracked.
- Microcontrollers: Arduino (Sparkfun kit), Raspberry Pi + Beagle Bone
- Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk for when you get deep
So you want to build a robot? - Raquel Vélez
- Shields = kits
- Batbot parts (see slides): $410
See this robot find its way out of a paper bag!
Six bottles of RUM: surprising stories of real world mobile performance - Peter McLachlan
- Measure real user experiences on your website, not just industry data points.
- Use cookie-free domains for static assets
- Data URIs vs. sprites? Sprites.
- Optimizing CSS selectors? Meh.
- Reuse warm HTTP connections. Don't shard to expand the number of simultaneous domain connections.
Stop Breaking the Web - Tom Dale
- URLs are the web. If your "site" doesn't work without URLs, you're just making a program that lives online.
Farewell CascadiaJS (Let's Talk about Feelings) - Jenn Turner
- Positive Intelligence - Shirzad Chamine
- Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life Paperback - Marshall B. Rosenberg
When I see _______, I feel ______.
Because I need _______, so could you please ________?