I recently bought digital subscriptions to some "newspapers" (Seattle Times, NYT, WaPo) because I believe that creators should be paid for their work, that the news media is important in these political times, and because I wanted to move the motivation equation away from "ads and eyeballs". But I'm kinda disappointed at the less-than-premium treatment of paid subscribers by these organizations. Here are some examples of what I do not want:
- Automatically signed up to daily news and marketing emails. No, I don't want more email - that's pretty much the last thing I want.
- Automatically renewed subscriptions. No, I'll pay again next year if I want to
- Repeated modals asking me to sign up for the email newsletter. No! See first item in list
- Terms of service which allow you call me on the telephone. No
- Ads and trackers - no matter if in a website or an app. No - by paying you, I shouldn't have to deal with these. You don't get to monetize me twice
- Paper. I really don't need more material to recycle.
Tags: meta rant