Strawberry Romaine Salad
This is an excellent use for a lovely bounty of northwest strawberries.
You'll need ingredients for both the dressing, and the body of the salad. This will make 4 servings, and a bounty of dressing for next time.
- 2 cups washed Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Toast the slivered almonds.
- Hull (remove stems) and slice the strawberries.
- Slice the Romaine into wide strips.
- Whisk sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt paprika and pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Vigorously whisk the oil into the medium bowl, in very small amounts. Keep whisking for about 5 minutes; you're trying to create the elusive emulsion.
- Toss the Romaine and strawberries with the dressing, then top with almonds.