Way back in May of 2015, I attended JSConf US to help with Bocoup's JS IRL Nodebots event. The robot kit was designed by Rick Waldron, and Rick and Francis Gullota soldered pin headers to all the the motor controllers before the event. We helped around 100 attendees build a nice little Nodebot, and everyone got to take home their kit. If you want to build your own, here's what you need:
- 1 ARDX Seeed Starter Kit. This includes the Arduino Uno, pin headers, a breadboard, a cable, and a nice little selection of components for future fun and games.
- 1 Runt Rover chassis. This kit includes the snap-together chassis, two motors, and two wheels.
- 1 Pololu DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Shield. You'll need to solder on the included pin headers and terminal blocks; if you're ordering a large volume, there's a chance that Pololu might pre-solder them for you. (In the build instructions, Rick is using a very similar shield, but it's $3 more.)
- 1 nine volt battery
- 1 zip tie
Once you've got the bot running, there are a number of ways to extend it. Here's one that's controlled with an Xbox 360 controller (code).
Beyond Responsive: Building a mobile web you're f*ing proud of - Kate Hudson
- Many people only use the web via mobile!
- Technology failures do happen - prepared and engaged tech staff make it better.
- Test features before their time. Use service workers: transpile and polyfills.
Really good engineering is finding adequate solutions to problems that matter.
This talk was super useful for me. Someday, I intend to refactor my blog's backend from PHP to Node, but I sure as heck don't want to change the database that holds all the content.
- node-mysql: A Node package for doing SQL
- Bookshelf.js: An ORM that goes on top of knex; does common CRUD operations for you.
- Knex Querylab: Fiddle with the knex syntax
- SailsJS: An MVC framework for Node that talks to databases
(math == art && art == code) - John Brown
I always love John's talks; I find them super inspiring. Confession: I never finish my "homework".
- Color pallettes = math
- music = data
- Learning is more fun with art becuase you're in control. This is the freedom of personal projects.
- @AvatarGlitch: A Twitterbot that will make you a glitchify your avatar
- Art in a physical space: you can watch people interact with it.
Mariko's image processing parts were the most interesting to me; it's related to screen printing on glass that I took last year.
- Mariko's a non-native English speaker. Finally with knitting machine manuals, she's doing tech in her native Japanese.
- How to even bitmap?
npm install gm: GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick for node.js - https://www.npmjs.com/package/gm
- Greyscale: Make the grey == the highest of the RGB values
- To make that monochrome requires dithering; methods include halftone, bayer and screw.
Cold War - Simon Swain
When Simon finished his talk, he walked right by our table and everyone just watched him with jaws agape. It was absolutely mind-blowing. There doesn't seem to be a video of Cold War from JSConf, but there are videos of other versions from both TXJS and EngineersSG.
We owe our jobs to cold war networking technologies.
- With two warring states (orange vs. blue), who wins?
- In animation, 60 fps = 16ms to render a frame to keep the browser below the jank point.
ctx.store() for canvas states
- The unit flocking came from rules: stay near to other units, shoot opponents with just a hair of randomness added.
- The slideshow was all in CSS/JS, including the glitch effect
- Have a play with at Cold War at https://coldwar.io/coldwar or other wonders at https://coldwar.io/.
- Make your own Cold War: https://github.com/simonswain/coldwar
Steve Kinney: Building a musical instrument with the Web Audio API
- Good news - someone put a synthesizer in your broswer.
- Math notes: https://github.com/stevekinney/octavian
- Hook up any input or sensor to the browser. Face Terimin! Johnny Five Music! Power Glove! Music Bot!
Maintaining a Local Dev Meetup - Jacob Roufa
- Everyone learns at a different place.
- The Cathedral & the Bazaar by Eric S. Raymond
Meetups are a wonderful place to become a better version of ourselves.
- It's possible that I shouted unduly - I just love FreeGeek!
To run a meetup, you need a Code of Conduct. It's about devining harassment explicitly.
- A meetup needs space and internet.
- Better than being excellent to each other; be of service to each other
If you wish to learn ES6/2015 from scratch, you must first invent the universe - Ashley Williams
I teach beginners, and beginners teach me.
- The conceptual understanding is exposed by the language.
- Picasso = abstraction. Through a deep understanding of the core subject.
- When abstractions attack: "Draw the f*cking owl."
Teaching is nature's way of letting you know how sloppy your understanding is.
30 Minutes or Less: The Magic of Automated Accessibility Testing - Marcy Sutton
- A11y = accessibility
- 1/5 of the world's population has some disability.
- Easy win: styles for focused elements
- Turn on your Mac's included screen reader - Cmd F5.
- Firefox's Developer Tools: Structure Check
- Chrome's Dev Tools: Accessibility Audit
- npm: A11y + phantom = automated tests
You can watch all of talks - there were so many that I either missed or didn't have time to write useful notes for. I hope to get to all the videos someday!