How to Make a Pee-Wee Runt Rover with Johnny-Five.
Way back in May of 2015, I attended JSConf US to help with Bocoup's JS IRL Nodebots event. The robot kit was designed by Rick Waldron, and Rick and Francis Gullota soldered pin headers to all the the motor controllers before the event. We helped around 100 attendees build a nice little Nodebot, and everyone got to take home their kit. If you want to build your own, here's what you need:
- 1 ARDX Seeed Starter Kit. This includes the Arduino Uno, pin headers, a breadboard, a cable, and a nice little selection of components for future fun and games.
- 1 Runt Rover chassis. This kit includes the snap-together chassis, two motors, and two wheels.
- 1 Pololu DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Shield. You'll need to solder on the included pin headers and terminal blocks; if you're ordering a large volume, there's a chance that Pololu might pre-solder them for you. (In the build instructions, Rick is using a very similar shield, but it's $3 more.)
- 1 nine volt battery
- 1 zip tie
- JSConf 2015 Slides - Intro to Parts, Build Instructions
- Runt Rover Code Examples
- Arudino Experimenter's Kit for Johnny-Five
Once you've got the bot running, there are a number of ways to extend it. Here's one that's controlled with an Xbox 360 controller (code).
Tags: johnny-five jsconf-us maker nodebots pictures